Trying to find a bright side to the Trump’s election—anything--I came up with a few:
(1) I never thought he was dumb. The “political genius” to find the kinks in all the conventional political wisdoms of the time might have up-sides to-be-discovered;
(2) every so often, he would surprise you. He was one of the only Republican nominees who called the second war with Iraq for the disaster it was and criticized President George W. Bush in front of his entire Party. He is not anti-Gay. Some of his business ventures worked, and that showed hopefully transferable competence;
(3) sometimes us “elites” need to be humbled;
(4) don’t believe this one as much as I used to, as the downsides now are so scary, but over time, the American public has to go through the experience of ideas I don’t like to learn what does and doesn’t work;
(5) I participated in my first political campaign that actually won, Gottheimer for Congress—after 5 failures with nothing to show for them. Hopefully, Gottheimer will show some of the nuances he didn’t or couldn’t during the campaign and prove to be a terrific Congressperson; and
(6) while I had retained minimal hope of someday working for the Federal Government in a catalytical position, as Clinton and Obama Administrators never responded to my letters anyway, there was not much hope of it. Now, there’s probably no point to further efforts to try, thus freeing up time for other things. Probably, some more potential upsides will emerge, even if now it seems like a stretch.